non-glue record below bottom of zone

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Jan 30 03:09:01 UTC 2001

> I upgraded, like  many, to bind 8.2.3 (8.2.3-0.potato  debian linux package)
> and first had to fix all my zones because the parser refused to deal with

> $TTL 3600
>
> @               IN      SOA     ns1.valinux.com. hostmaster.valinux.com.
>                 (
>                      2001012601 ; Serial Number (YYYYMMDDvv)
>                              1H ; Refresh (how often secondaries check the zo
> ne)
>                             15M ; Retry (zone transfert, if failure)
>                              1W ; Expire (after how long we throw the zone aw
> ay)
>                              1M ; Minimum TTL for negative caching
>                 )
>
> I had to move the '(' on the  same line than SOA, which was non obvious from
> the cryptic error message.

	This was never legal.

> After that, I had problems with this:
> dev.wwwi	A	10.1.0.240
>  		TXT	"User: Server"
> 		TXT	"OS: Debian 2.2"
>  		TXT	"Location: VAHQ"
>  		TXT	"Last Update: 2000/09/23 by merlin"
>  		TXT	"Function: valinux.com dev server and name server"
>  		TXT	"RP: Web Team <web-admins at valinux.com>"
>
> wwwi		NS	dev.wwwi
> 		NS	ns1
>
> The zone would get rejected with:
> db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: d
> ev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
> db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: d
> ev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
> db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: d
> ev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
> db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: d
> ev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
> db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: d
> ev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
> db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: d
> ev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
> load: warning: master zone "hdqt.valinux.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (se
> rial 2001012905)
>
> I had to comment out the whole thing, and quite frankly, I don't get it.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

	You have delegated a sub-zone wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com.  The A record
	is required glue.  The rest belongs in a comment or in the
	wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com sub-zone.  It does not belong in the
	hdqt.valinux.com and will not be transfered in a zone transfer.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com