non-glue record below bottom of zone

Marc MERLIN marc_bind at merlins.org
Tue Jan 30 02:16:05 UTC 2001

I upgraded, like  many, to bind 8.2.3 (8.2.3-0.potato  debian linux package)
and first had to fix all my zones because the parser refused to deal with

$TTL 3600

@               IN      SOA     ns1.valinux.com. hostmaster.valinux.com.
                (
                     2001012601 ; Serial Number (YYYYMMDDvv)
                             1H ; Refresh (how often secondaries check the zone)
                            15M ; Retry (zone transfert, if failure)
                             1W ; Expire (after how long we throw the zone away)
                             1M ; Minimum TTL for negative caching
                )

I had to move the '(' on the  same line than SOA, which was non obvious from
the cryptic error message.

After that, I had problems with this:
dev.wwwi	A	10.1.0.240
 		TXT	"User: Server"
		TXT	"OS: Debian 2.2"
 		TXT	"Location: VAHQ"
 		TXT	"Last Update: 2000/09/23 by merlin"
 		TXT	"Function: valinux.com dev server and name server"
 		TXT	"RP: Web Team <web-admins at valinux.com>"

wwwi		NS	dev.wwwi
		NS	ns1

The zone would get rejected with:
db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: dev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: dev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: dev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: dev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: dev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
db: error: zone: hdqt.valinux.com/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: dev.wwwi.hdqt.valinux.com/TXT
load: warning: master zone "hdqt.valinux.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 2001012905)

I had to comment out the whole thing, and quite frankly, I don't get it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Marc