administrating BIND with Private IPs

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 22 23:20:38 UTC 2001

You should *never* put private IP addresses in the public DNS.

Stick with what you're already doing. Your "fake domain" setup is
actually just an implementation of "split DNS", and it is exactly how
this situation should be addressed. What don't you like about it?

One thing to be aware of is that if you want your internal clients to see
both the "fake" (internal) and "real" (external) DNS names in your zones,
you'll have to maintain those names in *both* copies. Unfortunately,
there's really no way around that.

- Kevin