administrating BIND with Private IPs

Maximo Ramos maximo at violadores.org
Thu Feb 22 07:01:39 UTC 2001

Hi ... It was hard trying to put a descriptive subject :)

My situacion:

My domain is:  domain.com

with two name servers:

NS1     some remote machine
NS2     my machine here

in NS2 I have a small network, with some machines with private IP
addresses, and NS2 is fetching the dns information from NS1 (it's the
slave)

Now, is it right to put such info in my db.domain.com like this???:

<Real.IP.Address>       IN A    host.domain.com
<Real.IP.Address>       IN A    host2.domain.com
192.168.1.5             IN A    fake.domain.com (in my LAN)
192.168.1.6             IN A    fake2.domain.com (in my LAN)

I can't figure out how I can prevent somebody who may try to resolve
fake.domain.com and receive such a private address.

I'd like people outside to be able to resolve host.domain.com and
host2.domain.com, and leave the 192.168.1.X info for my LAN
exclusively (eth1)

Right now, in NS2 I have a fake domain for my fake machines in my LAN,
but I don't like this solution.

Gee! it is really hard to explain what I am trying to do, I am not a
native speaker of english :(

Hope somebody here gets the idea ........