Problem with subdomain pointing to himself and sendmail

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 1 01:12:25 UTC 2001

Jeroen Wijdogen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a subdomain on the internet wijdogen.dhs.org, on my local network
> there is a nameserver wich owns the subdomain locally . Local clients he
> makes name1.wijdogen.dhs.org or name2.wijdogen.dhs.org. But there is a
> problem when i want to reach wijdogen.dhs.org himself it's not possible.
>
> Which line do i have to add to reach this ?

If you want to want mail servers to deliver mail to @wijdogen.dhs.org
addresses, then add an MX record for wijdogen.dhs.org pointing at some name
which resolves to the relevant address. For all other protocols, just add an A
record for wijdogen.dhs.org with the relevant address. Note that you can do
*both* if you want.

> And another question i don't know if it's here at right place. Because there
> is an internal nameserver on my mailserver i named it in my configuration
> files server.wijdogen.dhs.org.
> When sendmail is sending mail he send's it as server.wijdogen.dhs.org, when
> i change these lines into wijdogen.dhs.org then he sends it as
> wijdogen.dhs.org.
> Why is this a problem ? Because server.wijdogen.dhs.org is not o qualified
> subdomain and i had several mails back because they could find
> server.wijdogen.dhs.org.
>
> I wan't that server.wijdogen.dhs.org acts as wijdogen.dhs.org when he sends
> mail. Hopefully someone could give me an suggestion, i also posted this
> message in the sendmail mailinglist.

When you make the change above, it will be possible for other SMTP servers to
send mail to @wijdogen.dhs.org. But you also have to configure your mail server
to *accept* mail for that address. Oftentimes it's just as simple as adding the
name to the Cw class or to the sendmail.cw file if it's pulling the class
information from that file.

- Kevin