BIND dying

Terrence Koeman root at mediamonks.net
Fri Dec 14 03:44:40 UTC 2001

The connectivity is not perfect, but it's good enough.

> Is this the slave?

Yes.

> What other messages are there in the logs to indicate that it died?

None, they are always the last messages in the log before BIND dies and
is automatically restarted by the service manager. The service manager
logs an unexpected termination to the eventlog.

Event ID: 7031

"The ISC BIND service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 56
time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 1000
milliseconds: Restart the service."

> How large is the zone file?

About 32Mb.

I wrote a script to save the PID files in a different directory each
startup, and I'm not sure but it seems the pid BIND is trying to kill
('pid xxx kill') is not a pid of named-xfer but of named itself, and
thus BIND is killing itself while it should kill a named-xfer process.

- --
Regards,

Terrence Koeman

Technical Director/Administrator
MediaMonks B.V. (www.mediamonks.nl)

Please quote all replies in correspondence.