BIND 8 to BIND 9

Will Yardley ilovednsrelatedspam at hq.newdream.net
Mon Dec 10 23:56:34 UTC 2001

Eric Weiss wrote:

> I just upgraded to Red Hat 7.2 . I this box for DNS .  The old install
> had BIND 8 and now it is packaged with BIND 9.  How hard is it to
> configure BIND 9 if I allready have all the files needed for BIND 8.
> I tried to just replace all my zone files in the same directory
> struture as before and I replace the default named.conf with my old
> BIND 8 version.  But it seems to not be working.  Also what happened
> to the "ndc start" command?  I think now it is "rndc" but there isn't
> a "start" option available for it.  How do I mannualy start the
> service.

there's no 'rndc start' since rndc is designed to work across a network,
and if named is not running, neither is rndc.

you can do 'named' to start it (named -u bind if you're running as the
user bind... there are more options in the man page for 'named'.)

you might need to generate an rndc key, or put a 'controls' statement in
your named.conf; other than that your zone files and named configuration
file should work fine.

> I did find however a script file called "named" which accepts
> parameters "start" and "stop". Should I be using this now?  Or will it
> just be alot easier to uninstall BIND 9 and get BIND 8?

well the version of bind 9 that comes with it (you might want to upgrade
to a newer version) probably comes with an init script called 'bind' or
'named', which you can use to start, stop, and possibly reload named.

i would recommend _not_ uninstalling bind9 and installing bind 8, but
you should upgrade to bind 9.2.0 if your version is older than that.

--
The three wise men brought frank incest and mirth.