5 instances of named

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Aug 28 10:39:15 UTC 2001

    Subba> I have upgraded my BIND to version 9.1.3. After converting
    Subba> my old config to the new format I have restarted
    Subba> named. Everything so far is working fine. There are 5
    Subba> instances of named in the process list. Why is this?

You are running an OS with a stupid ps command.

There is only one named process. Nothing is wrong (apart from your
stupid ps command). In BIND9, that process is threaded by default
unless it was compiled to be single threaded. Your OS is stupid enough
to confuse everyone by listing each process thread in the output of ps
rather than the actual process. [Silly me: I thought ps stood for
process status, not thread status.] No doubt there will be some ps
option on your platform which stops it doing this.