Zone File HELP

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Aug 16 17:52:48 UTC 2001

In article <9lguoh$d4u at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Kris McElroy <kmcelroy at duracom.net> wrote:
>We are currently in the process of maintaining our DNS in house.  I am
>running into a problem though, we have a domain www.texomaonline.com we
>have a subdomain in the zone file users.texomaonline.com.  The problem
>that I am having is before we started our own DNS you could go to
>www.users.texomaonline.com now you can't how do I include a record for
>this to work????

I have no problem looking it up:

% host www.users.texomaonline.com
www.users.texomaonline.com has address 216.226.6.73

I entered it into my browser and got a page listing a bunch of users.  I
tried clicking on a few of the links and they all said "This Virtual
Directory does not allow contents to be listed."  That seems like a problem
with the configuration of the web server, not a DNS issue.

Anyway, if you're wondering how this is set up: You should have two zone
files, one for texomaonline.com and another for users.texomaonline.com.  In
the second file there's a record that looks like:

users IN A 216.226.6.73

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA