Starting BIND on Windows 2000

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Aug 12 03:52:57 UTC 2001

At 04:55 PM 8/11/01, Lists at Curtis-M-Kularski.com wrote:
>I have created all of my db.(zone) files, and the named.conf file.  I
>have started the BIND Control Panel also.  I am following the
>instruction in the book "DNS and BIND 4th edition", but they don't seem
>to be working. I type "# /ect/named" in Startup Parameters, then I click
>start, but after about 5 seconds, BIND stops. What should I use for the
>startup parameters?
>
>I am using the Windows NT/2000 version of BIND 8.2.4.

Nowhere in the documentation for BIND for NT were you told that you need
startup parameters.  BIND is installed as a system service and starts automatically
when the system is started.  No parameters are needed.  You can start and
stop BIND also from BINDCtrl and BINDCmd. You should read your application
event log and see what errors it gets.  You need to set up named.conf in
dns/etc whereever you installed the software.  Error messages are sent by
default to the application event log.  If you have startup errors then you need
to look there.  Use Windows filespecs in named.conf (a forward slash '/' is valid
for these paths).  Also take a look at http://bind8nt.meiway.com/ for details.

         Danny