tsig verify failure

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 11 17:13:59 UTC 2001

Geessshh!

Let me rephrase my post, which was intended to be mildly humorous, since
I assumed that most people on this list were probably aware of the
security alert:

-
While this is not to imply a vulnerability in the Network Time Protocol
(NTP), itself, certain implementations of NTP have a vulnerability that
can allow root access to a system running one of those implementations.

Before embarking on any implementation of NTP, one should be aware of
this situation and be sure that the particular implementation intended
is not subject to this attack.
-

There.  Is that OK?

Jim said:
   For gratification, sex is your friend.

I said:
   Except for AIDS :)

Jim said:
   One should not confuse Aids with a particular implementation of sex.

To which I reply:
   Ooops.  You are correct.  My statement was misleading.
   I did not mean to imply that all sex is vulnerable to Aids
transmission.  Indeed, it is true that only that certain implementations
of sex carry this danger.  However, I believe that anyone planning to
engage in an implementation of sex should be aware of the potential
danger, which is all that I was trying to point out.  I believe that it
would be prudent for anyone entertaining an implementation of sex to be
sure that the particular one under consideration does not have this
vulnerability.

BOTTOM LINE:
The fact remains that, if you engage in NTP, you *may* be vulnerable to
a root exploit, so you should be aware of this and check out the facts
for your particular case.

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511