Strange Queries - Follow up

Thomas Duterme thomas at madeforchina.com
Mon Apr 9 06:07:25 UTC 2001

Hello Folks,

I posted about two weeks ago regarding a mysterious lookup
which a lot of people were doing on my servers.  To recap,
it appeared that the major DNS servers in Shanghai and in
Beijing were looking up my nameservers ns1 and
ns2.madeforchina.com.  I had changed the names of these
servers a while back, so I was perplexed to why they kept
looking.

I ended up looking through all 100 or so domains that I
manage and checked the nameserver records with the registar.
At first, nothing.  Then I forgot about my .cn names, and
found the troublesome entity and fixed it.

I'm happy that the mystery is solved, but as a followup
question, what if this happened on a much larger scale?  I
mean, what if I were managing 1000 or 10,000 domains?  I
couldn't just go check all of these domains manually. I
guess I could write a script which goes through and a list
of the domains and tags those with faulty ns
records...anyway, does anyone else have any other ideas.

Thanks btw to those who answered my first question.

-Thomas