Timekeeping (was Re: tsig verify failure)

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Sun Apr 8 14:21:59 UTC 2001

Maximo,

I notice from the email header that your time zone is +0900 and that the
offset being applied in the log messages below is +0900.  This suggests
that your hardware clock, your system clock, and your TIMEZONE (TZ)
setting are messed up.  IIRC, you are running a Linux distribution.  If
so, look at /etc/sysconfig/clock.

Like all good Un*x sysadmins, I set the hardware clock (the one you see
when you do a CMOS Setup when your machine is booting up) to UTC
(sometime called GMT, or Zulu) time.  I'm on the East coast of USA so my
clock file look like this:

[artch at minerva artch]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
ARC=false
UTC=true
ZONE=America/New_York

Users of Microsoft products, however, have problems with this approach
since Windows operating systems expect the hardware clock to be set to
local time and will cause it to be set and reset of "daylight savings"
or "summer time" changes.

It is necessary for the clocks on the three machines (SK, CA, FI?) to be
synchnonized with one another.  That is to say, they should all have the
same idea as to what time it is taking into account the timezone.  It is
interesting to note that the clocks do not have to be accurate with
respect to "realtime", they just have to be in agreement among
themselves.  The reason that they must have the same ideas as to "time"
is that the signed messages have a timestamp and an associated period
durning which they are considered valid.  This help to prevent some
types of attack (e.g., replay).

HOWEVER, it is better, much better, if they are also in agreement with
"realtime."

For more information on time, timekeeping, and network time protocol
(NTP) visit the following:

http://www.ijs.si/time/  (This is a very good site, rich in facts and
good links)
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/