BIND-9.1.1 and slave zone problem

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at innominate.com
Mon Apr 2 13:04:35 UTC 2001

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 01:58:03PM +0100, Jim Reid wrote:

>     Ralf> My BIND-9.1.1 is slave server for the Zone rz.tu-bs.de It
>     Ralf> rejects the zone because of an "CNAME and other data error".
>
> So get the hostmaster for that zone to fix the error. They must be

Well, I have done this. As usual, I didn't get an answer. Ah, and the error
hasn't been fixed.

> running a name server that allows illegal zone setups, like allowing a
> name to exist as a CNAME and some other record type. I found one

They're running a 4.9.7 original HP-UX 10.20 BIND.

> offending name. rzibm214.rz.tu-bs.de exists as an A and MX record but
> is also a CNAME for rzpwd.rz.tu-bs.de.

Ah. My old BIND-8.1.2 would report this, but 9.1.1 doesn't.

> isn't. That causes SERVFAIL errors. If your server had queried some
> other name server for the rz.tu-bs.de zone, it might have been able to
> resolve the lookup OK.

My point exactly. Why not fall back to the master then?

> -- at least as far as it was concerned -- and therefore queried
> itself.

I see. Just what I thought. My fix is to NOT serve that zone as a slave
until they fix their setup.