BIND-9.1.1 and slave zone problem

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Mon Apr 2 12:58:33 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> My BIND-9.1.1 is slave server for the Zone rz.tu-bs.de
> It rejects the zone because of an "CNAME and other data error".
>
> I have got the following problem:
>
> If I try to resolve (using "dig @localhost www.tu-bs.de") I get an servfail
> error from my localhost BIND, since www.tu-bs.de is a CNAME to
> rzis2.rz.tu-bs.de and since bind rejected the zone rz.tu-bs.de, it cannot
> resolve rzis2.rz.tu-bs.de.
>
> Sounds like a bug?

None of the 5 name servers listed for rz.tu-bs.de are running bind-9. Next
to that, refusing to load a zone which has errors, is not a bug. It would
be a bug if the nameserver allows this (yes, it was "allowed" in earlier
versions). The "servfail" error means that the queried nameserver was
unable to process this query due to a problem with the nameserver.
Probably because the nameserver rejected the rz.tu-bs.de. zone.

Regards,
Roy Arends
Nominum