BIND-9.1.1 and slave zone problem

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 2 12:58:03 UTC 2001

    Ralf> My BIND-9.1.1 is slave server for the Zone rz.tu-bs.de It
    Ralf> rejects the zone because of an "CNAME and other data error".

So get the hostmaster for that zone to fix the error. They must be
running a name server that allows illegal zone setups, like allowing a
name to exist as a CNAME and some other record type. I found one
offending name. rzibm214.rz.tu-bs.de exists as an A and MX record but
is also a CNAME for rzpwd.rz.tu-bs.de.

    Ralf> If I try to resolve (using "dig @localhost www.tu-bs.de") I
    Ralf> get an servfail error from my localhost BIND, since
    Ralf> www.tu-bs.de is a CNAME to rzis2.rz.tu-bs.de and since bind
    Ralf> rejected the zone rz.tu-bs.de, it cannot resolve
    Ralf> rzis2.rz.tu-bs.de. Sounds like a bug?

I don't think so. This is what a name server should do in those
circumstances. The server has found that it is supposed to be
authoritative for some zone -- in this case rz.tu-bs.de -- when it
isn't. That causes SERVFAIL errors. If your server had queried some
other name server for the rz.tu-bs.de zone, it might have been able to
resolve the lookup OK. However it probably didn't do that since it
would/should have had the lowest RTT of all the servers for that zone
-- at least as far as it was concerned -- and therefore queried
itself.