newbie question -- simple dns

Len Conrad lconrad at Go2France.com
Tue Sep 19 08:43:48 UTC 2000

>Couldn't be permissions because just for testing I set the file to
>/var/named/named.run and made the permissions in that directory rwxrwxrwx.
>It's as if anything I do in the named.conf file is not being payed
>attention to.

my dig is saying "1 server found", and I guess you see named in "ps
aux | grep named"?

>I'm not sure, but it's just not creating any file.  It's
>acting very strange.

"it" is BIND 8.2.2 p5 ?

>But, I know it has to be at least working partially
>because I have only localhost set as a nameserver in resolv.conf, and I
>can connect to all regularly known hosts.

It is answering recursive quereies for non malichi domains so named is alive.

without a named.run, I'm a little blind to see what the errors are.

>resolv.conf

used by the DNS client aka resolver

>nsswitch.conf

what's that?

>named.conf

This looked ok earlier.  Look at the startup scripts to make sure
named is being pointed at your config path/file.

man named

for startup options

>malichi.net

looked ok

>0.0.127
>root.hints

db.cache is the bind8 convetional name for the

Len