newbie question -- simple dns

Warren Mansur wmansur at cs.indiana.edu
Tue Sep 19 08:20:57 UTC 2000

Hi,

Couldn't be permissions because just for testing I set the file to
/var/named/named.run and made the permissions in that directory rwxrwxrwx.
It's as if anything I do in the named.conf file is not being payed
attention to.  I'm not sure, but it's just not creating any file.  It's
acting very strange.  But, I know it has to be at least working partially
because I have only localhost set as a nameserver in resolv.conf, and I
can connect to all regularly known hosts.  In addition, while running on
localhost, I can find malichi.net while no other machines can find
malichi.net.  Maybe something's missing in my configuration, but I can't
see what.  I have the following files:

resolv.conf
nsswitch.conf
named.conf
malichi.net
0.0.127
root.hints

Any ideas on what could be keeping proper operation from occurring, or why
the log file isn't being created?

Very confused,

Warren Mansur
phone: (812)857-8222