dns confusion, a couple of questions

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Sep 25 17:34:52 UTC 2000

> I assumed the host name is lrxms.net, but the gent at Speakeasy who said
> they'd setup the reverse stated that normally you'd point to dns.lrxms.net
> or something along those lines.

Why?  There are name servers out there named washington, frodo,
titanic, horse, and "a".  Why the heck should they tell you what to
name your machine?

Now, I do have trouble understanding why people want to give their
machine the same name as their domain; but it seems to be all the rage
these days.

> So, do I setup a canonical name for lrxms.net as dns.lrxms.net or alias
> instead?

You may make either the canonical name, or something entirely
different.  The name server name may not, however, appear on the left
side of a CNAME (canonical name) record.  Nor may the domain name.

> Also, if I run nslookup localhost I get an error:
>
> > localhost
> Server:  localhost
> Address:  127.0.0.1
>
> *** localhost can't find localhost: Non-existent host/domain

It found your reverse DNS OK.  It can't find the name "localhost" in
your domain.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B