dns confusion, a couple of questions

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Sep 23 20:32:21 UTC 2000

>*** localhost can't find localhost: Non-existent host/domain

Of course, this is 'nslookup' complaining that he cannot reverse lookup
the nameserver mentioned in your /etc/resolv.conf (127.0.0.1).

On my HP-UX and Linux RH6.1 systems, I can use any string that I want in
the reverse domain, such as

1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.  IN   PTR   foo-bar
    (which becomes  "foo-bar.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa." )

including "localhost.") and it satisfies 'nslookup'.
(I don't know who, besides 'nslookup', cares, but I actually like to
 make the local reverse really match the forward.
)

Thus, I would guess that must be something wrong in your conf file so
that the reverse zone is not loading.
What does "named.conf" look like?
Look at syslog.
Look at a dump of 'named's data and see whether there is a
reverse zone:

    $ORIGIN 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.
    1   3600    IN  PTR ...

For the nameserver, it's typical to use "dns" or "ns".
It doesn't matter as long as it matches the registered names in the
delegation to you.  After all, once they are registered, only rarely
will any person directly refer to this name (like when you post a
problem on this list vis-a-vis your name server ;>) in which case, it
makes it clearer to be able to reference ns.lrxms.net.

If you want to be able to reference your domain and get an IP address,
such as for http web access, simply add an A record for the domain,
as well.

;$ORIGIN lrxms.net.
$TTL nnn
@     SOA .....
localhost IN A 127.0.0.1  ; I actually have my reverse PTR point into
                          ; the domain zone data and not "foo-bar" ;>)
@     IN   NS  ns.lrxms.net.    ; defines nameserver for lrxms.net.
ns    IN   A   216.254.20.117   ; this actually defines "ns"'s address
@     IN   A   216.254.20.117   ; this allows http://lrxms.net
www   IN   A   216.254.20.117   ; this allows http://www.lrxms.net

Of course, the above could be written as
@     SOA .....
      IN   NS  ns.lrxms.net.    ; defines nameserver for lrxms.net
      IN   A   216.254.20.117   ; this allows http://lrxms.net
localhost IN A 127.0.0.1
ns    IN   A   216.254.20.117   ; this actually defines "ns"'s address
www   IN   A   216.254.20.117   ; this allows http://www.lrxms.net

Tks        | <mailto:Bob_Vance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511