best nameserver server-confirguration

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Oct 27 17:54:27 UTC 2000

cansas wrote:

> Hello
> I'm planing to setup BIND for doing my DNS. We are a small ISP-company who
> has some expericence with DNS Manager for Windows NT4.
>
> We now need two servers for doing the primary and secondary DNS for our
> hosted domains.
>
> We was just offered two almost new servers from a business who bankrupt, but
> both servers has IDE harddrives. We have always tried to avoide IDE
> harddrives because of the slower speed vs. SCSI harddrives. But when it's
> not an actually webserver, does it make a difference which kind of harddrive
> the server has?
>
> Here's some of the specifications for the two servers:
> 10 GB IDE harddrive
> 256 MB RAM
> AMD K6 II 500 mhz

How many zones do you have, and how large are they? The hard drive speed may
slightly affect your zone loading time. It shouldn't affect normal operation,
unless you start swapping (and if that happens, you should just buy more memory
anyway, because swapping is bad news even if you have a fast hard drive).

- Kevin