a bind problem ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Oct 27 17:48:41 UTC 2000

bish_op at my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In my /var/log/messages file there is a message that is :
>
> inetd[5868]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use
>
> I am not sure if it is related with bind or not,
> Can you please tell me what does this message mean, what might be the
> reason of it.

No, this is referring to the bind() socket library call, not BIND, the
nameservice daemon. The error message indicates that inetd tried to
start up a listener on the "auth" TCP port, but there was something
already listening on that port. This could be because a previous
invocation of the daemon didn't die properly, because you've configured
the daemon to run standalone _in_addition_to_ configuring it under
inetd, or potentially an inetd bug.

In any case, it has nothing to do with DNS or BIND.

- Kevin