Using an Oracle database within BIND 9.0.0.

network_noadle william.noad at ntli.net
Fri Nov 17 12:49:31 UTC 2000

Greetings,

My employers are about to launch a set of major web/mail hosting
services. The problem we have is scaling. We have been told that BIND 8
doesn't scale well past 6000 zones, and our sales predictions are for
10000 new zones per month.

What we would like to do is create a database (using MySQL or Oracle)
that contains all the information for the zones we are creating (every
new customer gets a domain name). The problem we have is this: how do we
modify BIND to access an external database of information, instead of
initialising from several thousand flat text files and searching an
internal RB tree?

Our current plan is to modify BIND such that the initialisation
procedure skips the reading of the zone files and opens a connection to
the external database. The internal RB tree is never populated. Instead
of searching the RB tree for information we fire an appropriate search
query to the database.

Does anyone have any suggestions or better ideas for this?

Regards
	William Noad
	NTL