Network Solutions Misery

Henri J. Schlereth henris at neandertal.org
Mon May 22 00:46:18 UTC 2000

Greetings all!

<snip>
> > > So what about getting together with other universities and setting up an
> > > edu registrar?

So based on this email, as a proud member of the "aint nobody" section
I can only conclude that my suggestion still has merit and while not
original does seem to be a common sense solution.

Additionally, since as you state, the EDU's dont cost anything there is
no financial reason for NSI to control the edu domains. They (NSI)
have nothing to lose but control.

> and it's not "it took a little hassle to do a domain name change"
> they REFUSE to do a domain name change - they do not return phone
> call - they do not return e-mail.  they have said we CANNOT
> change our domain name and we CANNOT get another domain name!

Have they stated a reason why? And isnt there some arbitration process
to escalate to ICANN? I know that may be lengthy but my experience with
NSI is that you have to go thru all the motions no matter what, escalate
,etc.

> we are not talking about a small isp here, we are the University
> of Tennessee.

Again, that may not matter to NSI since no money is involved. Their
concept however arrogant may be that since you arent a paying
customer you may not matter. Still shoddy, if true.

Regards,
Henri

"What's that knock on the door? Oh no, they are coming to
take my domain name away for having an opinion in a mailling
list" Just kidding, or am I?