Network Solutions Misery

Henri J. Schlereth henris at neandertal.org
Mon May 22 00:53:13 UTC 2000

<snip>

> A previous letter stated that NSI had full and total control of .edu, and you can not 'purchase' a license to become a registrar for .edu. As for .com/.net/.org, if you would like to sell domain names without the put-out of becoming a fully accredited registrar, check out the OpenSRS project from TuCows. http://www.opensrs.org

Yes, well, but this entire flurry of emails is about edu's and specifically
the problems that the University of Tennessee is having with NSI.
I am part of the "aint nobody" crowd but it did seem common sense that
edu's should control their own registrar and since financially NSI has
nothing to gain, they should let them go. NSI wont want to relinquish
control, I would bet money on.

I have personally never had problems with NSI but I know plenty of
people that do. Who knows, maybe they will revoke my domain for
having an opinion.

Henri