How to use nslookup to check DNS server set-up?

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon Mar 6 09:27:32 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "David Cost" <dcost at post.com>

> Is it best to move to another computer to run NSlookup so you are looking at
> it from the outside?

You can specify an external server for nslookup to use; this will result
in "looking at your domain from the outside".

> When you us nslookup, do you use the IP address of the machine you're
> looking for, or the nameserver name?

You enter whatever you want to resolve. If you want to perform a reverse
lookup, it's OK to enter an IP address. You can also specify the server
using an IP address instead of using its name.

Thor

--
If you send me email, please use PGP or OpenPGP.
My public keys can be downloaded from key servers.