New User - on my own and caught a snag..

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 23 21:41:52 UTC 2000

Mark R. Nathan wrote:

> I have parsed over every post here or in the BIND listserve library
> to come up with an answer.  What I do know is that a port issue may
> be at fault but since I turned off NAT and IPFILTER I cant see what
> could be blocking port 53.  I am now 'officially' at a loss.
> (actually was officially at a loss before I started in BSD UNIX but
> dont tell anyone yet ;)
>
> Below are the list of log errors:
>
> Err/TO getting serial# for "dns1.xxx.xxx"   <--- port 53 error in bootlog

> # every 5 minutes I get this spit out at me
>
> [xxx.xxx.xx.x] not authoritative for dns1.XXX.net for XXX.XXX.XX.X,
> SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 0, aucount 2

These 2 messages indicate that you are defined as a slave for dns1.XXX.net,
and trying to do a serial-number lookup (to see if a zone transfer is
necessary), but it's failing because there is a problem on the master --
either the machine isn't actually configured as a master for the zone, or it
couldn't load the zone because of a syntax error.

> # I also get this when I reboot in the log:
>
> /etc/name.conf:36: cannot redefine zone 'dns1.xxx.net' class IN

This means you have multiple definitions of zone dns1.xxx.net in your config
file. Get rid of the extraneous one(s).

You're not by any chance trying to define the zone as both master and slave
on the same machine, are you?

> I have taken to installing lsof but getting that to compile correctly
> for me newbie is another story.

"lsof" isn't likely to help you with a configuration file problem or a
problem on some other machine...

- Kevin