secondary DNS problem

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Jul 15 08:00:49 UTC 2000

    Hoomaan> Hi all, afranet.com has DNS problems. Some emails reach
    Hoomaan> to our mail server but some ( like the one whcih I have
    Hoomaan> attached the failure report ) cannot find our name
    Hoomaan> server.

    Hoomaan> > The original message was received at Thu, 13 Jul2000
16:30:36 -0400 (EDT from web3 [10.44.1.3]>
    hoomaan> > 451 <mdarvish at afranet.com>... afranet.com:
    Hoomaan> Nameserver timeout

This would appear to be a problem at the sending site. Get them to
restart their name server since it seems to think the name servers for
your domain are not alive. But if that site's name servers have a
special configuration for your domain, that could be the problem.
Incidentally, the partial and mangled error message you showed hints
at another possible problem. The error report originated from a
private IP address, 10.44.1.3, that isn't routed on the internet.
Maybe the sending site is trying to use those non-routable addresses
to do DNS lookups and send mail to you?