PTR error

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 13 16:24:26 UTC 2000

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 11:32:23AM +0000, Thomas Duterme wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> I'm a newbie, so please bear with my mistakes. I went to APNIC
> (http://www.apnic.net/db/domain.html) to check 32.108.202.in-addr.arpa and
> found nothing.  I assume my ISP has to register this C class with APNIC....
> I only have 4 fixed IP addresses but would like to make sure my PTR records
> are correct.  I contacted my ISP (I'm in China and am hosting with the
> largest Chinese ISP) and they told me I was the first client who ever had
> this request (it seemed like they didn't even know what I was talking about)
>
> How would the delegation work for this class?  ie, since my ISP has
> authority over all the Ip addresses of this Class C network, wouldn't their
> name servers have to have correct PTR RRs?
>
> Thanks for very much for the help.
> Thomas

Your ISP is probably an entrpreneur who, if you read D&B very
carefully, now knows less about DNS than you.  They do not even have
the reverse DNS domains for their own IP addresses delegated from
APNIC.  So of course, they can't delegate them; so of course, nobody
has ever asked them.

;-(

At least, so I think, from my cursory glance at the records on the
'Net.

nslookup -type=ns 164.32.108.202.in-addr.arpa.
*** No address information is available for "164.32.108.202.in-addr.arpa."

nslookup -type=ns 32.108.202.in-addr.arpa.
*** No address information is available for "32.108.202.in-addr.arpa."

nslookup -type=ns 108.202.in-addr.arpa.
Non-authoritative answer:
108.202.in-addr.arpa	nameserver = svc00.apnic.net
108.202.in-addr.arpa	nameserver = ns.apnic.net

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B