Can DNS & POP3 on the same server?

Paul Jacobs paul at netpacq.com
Mon Jul 3 01:01:41 UTC 2000

>     Paul> Another thing about send mail is it can not do POP3 auth to
>     Paul> allow posting through SMTP.
>
>As I have said before it's "sendmail", not "send mail". IIUC, the
>current version of sendmail provides a number of authentication
>schemes for submitting mail via SMTP. If by "POP3 auth" you mean
>prompting for a username and password before accepting outbound mail
>from local users, this is one of the schemes that is available. Full
>details are in the sendmail documentation and on their web site. I
>think that http://www.sendmail.org contains the FAQ and a step-by-step
>guide to configuring sendmail.

I mean... if a pop3 user log's in and collect's his mail from an outside
network, the user should be able to send smtp mail with out giving a
password to the smtp for a specified time period.

All most every windows based mail server will allow you to do this!,
(except sendmail for NT)!.

Why is it that send mail can not catch up?

Also I know you can set up a cron event to scan your drive for viruses but
I do not know of any REAL-TIME virus scanners for sendmail.....but, yet
again there are plenty for the windows environment!.

Could this be the problem the government's is having with email virus?
(exchange & outlook aside).
Does it still ring true " You get what you pay for"????.

Best regards,
Paul Jacobs /Senior Network Eng.
Commerce Service Provider (CSP)
Internet Presence Provider (IPP)