Can DNS & POP3 on the same server?

Mathias Koerber mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
Mon Jul 3 01:18:06 UTC 2000

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Paul Jacobs wrote:

| Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 18:01:41 -0700
| From: Paul Jacobs <paul at netpacq.com>
| To: Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com>
| Cc: comp-protocols-dns-bind at uunet.uu.net
| Subject: Re: Can DNS & POP3 on the same server?
|
| I mean... if a pop3 user log's in and collect's his mail from an outside
| network, the user should be able to send smtp mail with out giving a
| password to the smtp for a specified time period.
|
| All most every windows based mail server will allow you to do this!,
| (except sendmail for NT)!.
|
| Why is it that send mail can not catch up?

Maybe because sendmail is *not* a POP3 (or IMAP etc) client and thus does not
know how to get at he authentication data of th4e numerous POP3 clients
out there for UNIX?

That saus, there *are* tools that do just what you want, inspect a POP3 log and
modify a sendmail table allowing posting. But these are all thirdparty
based on the exact POP3 client...

| Also I know you can set up a cron event to scan your drive for viruses but
| I do not know of any REAL-TIME virus scanners for sendmail.....but, yet
| again there are plenty for the windows environment!.

Check out AmaVIs (I hope I goty the capitalization correct). It's the framework
only requiring the actual virus checking engine, which there are a number
to choose of..

Mathias Koerber	  | Tel: +65 / 471 9820    |   mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
SingNet NOC	  | Fax: +65 / 475 3273    |            mathias at koerber.org
Q'town Tel. Exch. | PGP: Keyid: 768/25E082BD, finger mathias at singnet.com.sg
2 Stirling Rd     |      1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *