Can DNS & POP3 on the same server?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sun Jul 2 23:09:00 UTC 2000

    Paul> I am running bind 8.2.2 P5, and send mail 8.10.1... and I
    Paul> can not send to the same domain..

Just because *you* can't make these work together doesn't mean that
they can't work together. I'd guess that well over half the mail that
crosses the Internet will go through sendmail. The chances are that
those mail systems will be talking to a BIND name server. [ISTR a
survey saying 75% of the email servers on the Internet ran sendmail.
An even higher proportion of the world's name servers run BIND.] So to
say - as you did - that the most ubiquitous by far mail server and
name server on the Internet "can't talk to each other" is just
ludicrous. NB the versions of sendmail and DNS don't matter here
because they use the same DNS wire protocol to talk to each other. In
fact neither party can tell if the query came from sendmail or the
reply came from a BIND name server.

    Paul> It tell's me "can not send to it self."

This is a well documented problem with sendmail with numerous
solutions. Have you consulted the sendmail FAQ or looked at the
sendmail.{com,net,org} web sites? An explanation for this problem is
also given in pretty much every book on sendmail (and the DNS?). Have
you consulted any of them? The problem usually comes about because
someone has either misconfigured the DNS or sendmail. Or both.

    Paul> You must turn "open relay" on for it to work, then restrict
    Paul> to certain I.P.  ranges...

NO! NEVER EVER USE 'open relay', even with a range of permitted IP
addresses. The sendmail docs specifically warn against doing this. Did
you read them? Spammers love open mail relays. And if spammers find
your mail server, they'll wipe it out by getting it to relay millions
of spam messages. That will get your server on to a variety of anti-spam
databases including the realtime blackhole list (RBL). If you're on
the RBL, large chunks of the Internet won't carry your packets until
you close the open-relay and adopt sensible anti-spam policies. See
http://www.mail-abuse.org and http://maps.vix.com/rbl/rationale.html.

    Paul> Another thing about send mail is it can not do POP3 auth to
    Paul> allow posting through SMTP.

As I have said before it's "sendmail", not "send mail". IIUC, the
current version of sendmail provides a number of authentication
schemes for submitting mail via SMTP. If by "POP3 auth" you mean
prompting for a username and password before accepting outbound mail
from local users, this is one of the schemes that is available. Full
details are in the sendmail documentation and on their web site. I
think that http://www.sendmail.org contains the FAQ and a step-by-step
guide to configuring sendmail.