Can DNS & POP3 on the same server?

DanO express at fastdial.net
Sun Jul 2 21:30:03 UTC 2000

> Thanks DanO for the clearification.
>
> One question I have is if the alaises you setup below are configured
> and actually written in your DNS Master zone database.
The A & MX records I used are setup in the primary FQDN zone file. So if
your servers name in dns1.hello.com, then all the A & MX records go in to
"hello.com" zone file. the only thing you need to add to any other zone
files is the MX record. DNS will do the internel lookups for the machine
that is hosting the mail server. One more point, I should make- " a little
off the NG's topic"
    Be careful of your configuring sendmail. if you are only using a couple
of machines for a handfull of domains, then setup the machine as a Hub-only.
    A good ref for doing this is at   http://www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html.
Get the
Securing and Optimizing Linux: Red Hat Edition guide. even if you dont have
redhat, it clarifys alot in the configuring of any server.
> How and why did you come up with the local IP class of 111.111.111.x?
The IP's were for example only, as I didnt want to use my own in the post.
> Anything necessary to get sendmail to recognize these aliases using
> Sendmail 8.8.8?
The IP aliases arent important to sendmail, the domain names, & the
redirection to user-names on the machine is where alot off mistakes get
made. Sendmail has what is call  LHR-left-hand-rules, RHR-right-hand-rules.
Make sure you follow them closely.

Reguards
DanO