New IP address for DNS

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Jul 1 23:22:04 UTC 2000

    Kevin> Here I am messing around with DNS again.  I recently
    Kevin> changed ISP's and have recived a new IP address.  I have
    Kevin> recreated all my db files to reflect this.  However, when i
    Kevin> use nslookup to test looking up remote names i get this
    Kevin> response

    Kevin>  nslookup redhat.com krynn.kevinclark.org
    Kevin>  *** Can't find server name for address 24.30.22.146: No response from server
    Kevin>  *** Default servers are not available

Well your first problem is using worthless garbage like nslookup to
test the DNS. Throw nslookup away and use dig. This has been said many
times on this list. Your second problem is that reverse lookups for
this address return nic-30-c22-146.mw.mediaone.net, not the hostname
for your server. This will probably upset nslookup. [One of its many
stupidities is making reverse lookups for the server it queries. An
even bigger stupidity of nslookup's is relying on the answer to that
reverse lookup.] You need to get your ISP to fix the reverse lookup or
use RFC2137-style delegation to give you responsibility for it. Your
IP address isn't currently responding to pings, so nobody else can
test if your name server is OK or not. So whether this idiot behaviour
by nslookup is your only DNS problem or not, it's hard to say.