cannot redefine zone with only one entry

Nicholas Berry nberry at corp.jps.net
Tue Jan 18 02:45:36 UTC 2000

I'm running BIND 8.2.2p5 on 4 name servers.  They are running anywhere from BSDI 3.0 - 4.1 to OpenBSD 2.6.

Three entries that I have in /etc/named.conf are reporting "cannot redefine zone".  At first I figured that this was due to multiple entries within /etc/named.conf for the same domain.  After grepping for those domains, it only came back with one entry.  I then checked all of the zone files for an entry in another zone file for the entries that were having problems, but again, the results didn't reveal anything to be out of the ordinary.  I do not have any "include" entries in /etc/named.conf so that wouldn't be an issue either.

Jan 17 18:28:01 ns0 named[2098]: /etc/named.conf:42867: cannot redefine zone 'mictron.com' class IN
Jan 17 18:28:01 ns0 named[2098]: /etc/named.conf:42867: cannot redefine zone 'mictron.com' class IN

As you can see it's having errors on the same line like it's trying to load it twice.  I have tried removing the entry off of all servers and restarting named and then re-added them to /etc/named.conf.  Still no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-=- Nicholas Berry
-=- JPSNet, a OneMain.com company
-=- Network Operations