same DNS server serving multiple subdomains

Anthony Golia Anthony.Golia at msdw.com
Tue Dec 19 12:51:49 UTC 2000

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Anthony Golia wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle the in-addr.arpa for this:
> >
> > parent is foo.com, child domains are sub1.foo.com and sub2.foo.com where
> > the two subs live on the same single homed DNS server.  The subs will
> > live in two or three contained class Cs.  How do I handle the PTR rec
> > for the single homed sub DNS server?
>
> What do you mean by "contained" class C's? Do you mean contiguous /24's in
> a particular netblock? Get your network provider to delegate the reverse
> domains corresponding to those /24's to your nameserver. If you have the
> a.b.c.* and a.b.d.* network address ranges, for instance, you need to have
> c.b.a.in-addr.arpa and d.b.a.in-addr.arpa delegated to your nameservers.
> This would presumably be from either the b.a.in-addr.arpa or a.in-addr.arpa
> reverse zone, which your provider would own. If you got your netblock
> directly from an RIR like ARIN, then talk to them about getting the
> delegations.
>
> - Kevin

Yes, contiguous /24's.  But my question is what entries do I put in
which in-addr.arpa zone file for the subdomain DNS server.  For example,
if the parent DNS server is ns1.foo.com, a.b.c.1  and the subdomain DNS
server is a.b.d.1 and it's authoritive for sub1.foo.com and sub2.foo.com
domains, where stuff in sub1 and sub2 live in a.b.d and a.b.e.

--
Anthony