same DNS server serving multiple subdomains

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Dec 19 17:31:24 UTC 2000

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 07:51:49AM -0500, Anthony Golia wrote:
> Yes, contiguous /24's.  But my question is what entries do I put in
> which in-addr.arpa zone file for the subdomain DNS server.  For example,
> if the parent DNS server is ns1.foo.com, a.b.c.1  and the subdomain DNS
> server is a.b.d.1 and it's authoritive for sub1.foo.com and sub2.foo.com
> domains, where stuff in sub1 and sub2 live in a.b.d and a.b.e.

If it's all the same name server, what does it matter??????????

You have one zone "c.b.a.in-addr.arpa", in which you put the names for
the IP addresses a.b.c.*, no matter what domain they're in.  You could
have 254 different domains, for all DNS cares!  You have another zone
"d.b.a.in-addr.arpa" for a.b.d.*, and another zone "e.b.a.in-addr.arpa"
for a.b.e.*.  Each of these three zones is separate and distinct, and
contains its own information.  There is no overlap.  There is no
ambiguity.  Why should there be?

zone "c.b.a.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "zone.a.b.c";