same DNS server serving multiple subdomains

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 19 00:00:38 UTC 2000

Anthony Golia wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle the in-addr.arpa for this:
>
> parent is foo.com, child domains are sub1.foo.com and sub2.foo.com where
> the two subs live on the same single homed DNS server.  The subs will
> live in two or three contained class Cs.  How do I handle the PTR rec
> for the single homed sub DNS server?

What do you mean by "contained" class C's? Do you mean contiguous /24's in
a particular netblock? Get your network provider to delegate the reverse
domains corresponding to those /24's to your nameserver. If you have the
a.b.c.* and a.b.d.* network address ranges, for instance, you need to have
c.b.a.in-addr.arpa and d.b.a.in-addr.arpa delegated to your nameservers.
This would presumably be from either the b.a.in-addr.arpa or a.in-addr.arpa
reverse zone, which your provider would own. If you got your netblock
directly from an RIR like ARIN, then talk to them about getting the
delegations.

- Kevin