No error, but no work

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 11 22:31:54 UTC 2000

windeath wrote:

> I'm trying to test my local zone data.
>
> when I look in the error logs I to Warnings
>
> no Default TTL (maybe some one can explaib how to resolve this, cause in
> my SOA)
>
> my retry should be 2* my refreash

Here's my boilerplate answer for this FAQ:

> Put a $TTL directive at the top of your master files. It takes an
> argument of how long the default TTL for the zone should be: you can
> either use a plain number, which is interpreted as seconds, or numbers
> combined with letters signifying time units, e.g. "1d" = 1 day = "86400"
> (seconds).
>
> Or, alternatively, if you want your default TTL to be the same as your
> negative caching TTL (the last field of the SOA record), then just
> ignore the warnings, since that's what named will use in the absence of
> a $TTL directive anyway, as it was used to prior to RFC 2308.
>

> those are fatel erroir and my zones load but.. when I put
> nameservice127.0.0.1  in my /etc/resovle.conf

"nameservice127.0.0.1" would be an invalid resolver directive. Did you mean
"nameserver 127.0.0.1"?

> and run nslookup wdeath(which is a vaild host name). the output is

> *** Can't find server name for address 127.0.0.1: Non-existent host/domain
> *** Default servers are not available

This error is the result of nslookup's suckiness. It's failing because it
can't reverse-resolve 127.0.0.1.Use a real tool like dig or set up the
reverse zone for 127.0.0.1 to humor nslookup.

> and if I take the nameserver out of my /etc/resovle.conf and put search
> w3designer.net
>
> which is my domain, nslookup outputs:
>
> Server:  wdeath.w3designer.net Address:  0.0.0.0*** wdeath.w3designer.net
> can't find wdeath: Non-existent host/domain

0.0.0.0 should be answered by your local nameserver. Apparently it can't
resolve "wdeath". There could be any number of reasons why. Turn on debug for
nslookup or (preferably) use dig, to get a better idea of what the problem is
from the client side. You may also need to turn on debugging on the server
too.

> what's up? I even made sure all hosts were in /etc/hosts

named doesn't look at /etc/hosts.

- Kevin