one IP address two domains - aliases?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 25 17:39:17 UTC 2000

In article <8e4fpl$e4q$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <phuoc99 at my-deja.com> wrote:
>After reading the archive and not finding the answer of my 'simple'
>problem as I'm newbie and try it for the first time. Please:

This question gets asked at least once a week in this group and
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains.

>How can I assign 2 registered domain names with 1 IP address? It's
>possible I know, even up to 4 !(I've read somewhere in archives) I own
>Slackware.

All you should need to do is enter different A records with the same IP
address.

>After configuring my DNS, I wanted to register the second the domain
>but got the following answers from the domain name registration:
>
>Error: When queried for the SOA of zone SecondDomain.ch, MyServerName
>[193.xx.xxx.xxx] replied with 2 responses (instead of exactly one).

This doesn't sound like it has anything to do with using the same IP
address.  It's a problem with the SOA records.

There didn't seem to be anything obviously wrong in the zone file excerpts
you sent.  But since they were obviously not the real zone files, that
doesn't mean anything.  We can't help you troubleshoot this unless you tell
us the real domains and servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA