one IP address two domains - aliases?

phuoc99 at my-deja.com phuoc99 at my-deja.com
Tue Apr 25 16:06:22 UTC 2000

Hi all,

After reading the archive and not finding the answer of my 'simple'
problem as I'm newbie and try it for the first time. Please:

How can I assign 2 registered domain names with 1 IP address? It's
possible I know, even up to 4 !(I've read somewhere in archives) I own
Slackware.

After configuring my DNS, I wanted to register the second the domain
but got the following answers from the domain name registration:

Error: When queried for the SOA of zone SecondDomain.ch, MyServerName
[193.xx.xxx.xxx] replied with 2 responses (instead of exactly one).

193.yy.yyy.yyy is my smtp server
193.xx.xxx.xxx is my server name
193.xx.xxx.xx1 is the IP address to share with 2 dom.

Here are my config:
Under /etc/named.conf:

zone "SecondDomain.ch" {
        type master;
        file "SecondDomain.ch.hosts.fwd";
};

where SecondDomain.ch.hosts.fwd under /var/named:

@ IN    SOA             www.SecondDomain.ch.   zzz.MyServerName. (
                                    2000040401
                                    43200
                                    3600
                                    2419200
                                    2419200)
                               IN      NS      zzz.MyServerName.
www                            IN      A       193.xx.xxx.xx1
www                            IN      MX  1   m.SecondDomain.ch.
m                              IN      A       193.yy.yyy.yyy
SecondDomain.ch.               IN      A       193.xx.xxx.xx1

Under /etc/named.conf:

zone "FirstDomain.ch" {
        type master;
        file "FirstDomain.ch.hosts.fwd";
};

where FirstDomain.ch.hosts.fwd under /var/named:

@ IN    SOA             www.FirstDomain.ch.   zzz.MyServerName. (
                                    199940041
                                    43200
                                    3600
                                    2419200
                                    2419200)
                               IN      NS      zzz.MyServerName.
www                            IN      A       193.xx.xxx.xx1
www                            IN      MX  1   n.SecondDomain.ch.
n                              IN      A       193.yy.yyy.yyy
FirstDomain.ch.                IN      A       193.xx.xxx.xx1

Some nslookup and ping:

----
nslookup www.FirstDomain.ch

Server:  MyServerName