Keeping dynamic and static DNS entries separate?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Sep 23 22:34:44 UTC 1999

> Hi all,
>
> I've got Bind8.2.1 running on a Linux 2.2 box.  Initially we
> were only running static DNS for about 12-15 hosts, no problems.
>
> Then, we integrated some Perl scripts to tie in our DHCP server
> with the DDNS functionality of 8.2.1, to create entries in that
> zone for DHCP-assigned computers.
>
> Now, as expected, it creates the .ixfr and .log files.  However,
> here is my issue:
>
>  I want to keep separate files for the "static" part of the zone
>  and "dynamic" part.  However, whenever named shuts down and
>  restarts, it rewrites the zone files with its current memory--
>  including both the static entries (with a 1W interval-- is that
>  correct?) and the dynamic ones.
>
> I tried making the static entries $INCLUDEd into the main file,
> but it gets overwritten.
>
> Two questions
>  1) Is BIND correct in giving a 1 week (604800) time period for
>     what had been "permanent" entries?

	BIND preserves the TTL values. You must have had them defined
	to be 1 week.

>  2) How do I keep my static/permanent entries separate physically
>     from my dynamic ones?

	You don't.  There is no such thing as a "static" entry in a
	"dynamic" zone.  All the records are "dynamic", just some are
	unlikely to be changed.  Once you mark as zone as being dynamic
	you should not attempt to edit the zone file, rather manual
	changes should be made via nsupdate.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org