Keeping dynamic and static DNS entries separate?

nardone at patriot.net nardone at patriot.net
Thu Sep 23 21:10:37 UTC 1999

Hi all,

I've got Bind8.2.1 running on a Linux 2.2 box.  Initially we
were only running static DNS for about 12-15 hosts, no problems.

Then, we integrated some Perl scripts to tie in our DHCP server
with the DDNS functionality of 8.2.1, to create entries in that
zone for DHCP-assigned computers.

Now, as expected, it creates the .ixfr and .log files.  However,
here is my issue:

 I want to keep separate files for the "static" part of the zone
 and "dynamic" part.  However, whenever named shuts down and
 restarts, it rewrites the zone files with its current memory--
 including both the static entries (with a 1W interval-- is that
 correct?) and the dynamic ones.

I tried making the static entries $INCLUDEd into the main file,
but it gets overwritten.

Two questions
 1) Is BIND correct in giving a 1 week (604800) time period for
    what had been "permanent" entries?

 2) How do I keep my static/permanent entries separate physically
    from my dynamic ones?

Thanks,

Joe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/