Authoratative confusion

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Mon Sep 20 20:06:52 UTC 1999

    Matt> Our domain, aisoftware.com.au, was being hosted by another
    Matt> company's web servers and their DNS boxes were authoratative
    Matt> for the domain.  We have now set up our own DNS servers and
    Matt> have had the other company remove their delegation.

    Matt> The problem - even tho they have removed all the zone files,
    Matt> and I have created zone files and made the necessary entries
    Matt> to the named.conf file, it seems as though the other
    Matt> company's servers are still authoratative for our domain.
    Matt> According to them my simple act of setting up the delegation
    Matt> etc, should have been enough to update the DNS but I think
    Matt> there must be a missing link in the chain here somewhere.

Correct, the DNS administrator for the com.au zone should arrange for
the NS records for aisoftware.com.au to point at your new name servers.

BTW, please don't put unreplyable addresses in the From: headers of
your mail or news postings. It causes more problems with bounced
messages for everyone than the odd bit of spam causes you. If you want
to reduce spam, use an address that has an obvious component like
"delete this bit to get a valid email address".