Authoratative confusion

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Sep 20 18:51:44 UTC 1999

In article <37e5bbd2.0 at pink.one.net.au>, Matt Anderson <m at a.my.domain> wrote:
>I'll explain my situation before I present the problem.
>
>Our domain, aisoftware.com.au, was being hosted by another company's web
>servers and their DNS boxes were authoratative for the domain.  We have now
>set up our own DNS servers and have had the other company remove their
>delegation.

Is the other company armfinance.com.au?  The delegation records in the
COM.AU domain still point to their servers:

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> aisoftware.com.au ns @munnari.oz.au
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 2, Auth: 0, Addit: 2
;; QUESTIONS:
;;	aisoftware.com.au, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
aisoftware.com.au.	86400	NS	butthead.armfinance.com.au.
aisoftware.com.au.	86400	NS	beavis.armfinance.com.au.

>To take delegation of a domain, what more do I need to do besides set up
>BIND?  Can I have the box that I want to become the domain referencing
>itself in DNS?  ie.  domain aisoftware.com.au is delegated by
>supremedalek.aisoftware.com.au in 210.9.89.219

You have to get the maintainer of the parent domain to change the
delegation records.  If any server for the domain has a name within the
domain, the parent domain will also have to have a glue record so it can
give out the address of the server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com