Have to allow AXFR from oldns3.granitecanyon.com? Was-Re: soa.granitecanyon.com down?

kcary at my-deja.com kcary at my-deja.com
Sun Sep 19 23:36:44 UTC 1999

I'm having a problem somewhat germain to the granitecanyon service
interruption thread, I hope--perhaps a result of the problems with ns2...

My host is the primary for its domain; granitecanyon is set as secondary.

I've received the double confirmation from granitecanyon as secondaries.

My logs show oldns3.granitecanyon.com trying to do zone transfers from my
zone's primary dns.

My logs never show ns1 or ns2 trying to do zone transfers.

The online documentation says to authorize transfers from ns1 & ns2.

Does anyone know:
Is there a lag in the documentation?
Do I need to allow transfers by oldns3 (short term/long term)?

Thanks!

==

As an aside, their news service is down for lack of hardware. This seems
to limit support (and password resets) as that was supposed to happen
through the community in the newsgroups.

There is an appeal on the website for hardware; I'm sure they don't want
to email their RP for the thousands of domains they serve in direct
appeal. I remember when the info-mac list appealed for harware to host
the archives...response was pretty quick. Too bad there isn't a similar
push mechanism in place here.

If anyone from granitecanyon or their friends reads this--a few thoughts:
-Commercially supported, but reliable, what about a deja hosted newsgroup
dedicated to password-reset and help for granitecanyon?
-What about establishing an opt-in status update listserv, perhaps hosted
by a volunteer, which would send minimally some monthly stats, but also,
as needed, status changes. Put the appeal for news hardware in the .sig.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/