Setting up a Root name server

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Sep 3 23:31:10 UTC 1999

> Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> > >                                     ... By having a root server on our network
> > > with the best RTT that can answer query's all the time, we bypass all that.
> >
> > This is, in fact, the flaw.  How will you load it?  How will you update
> > it?  Have you tried doing a transfer on .com lately?  [And didn't I say
> > this before?]  And if you can't load and update, how will your ersatz
> > root answer any queries at all?
>
> Yes, I update the .com .net and some other domas twice a day. If I can't load the
> domains, they will expire in 12 hours like all root nameservers. At that point the
> resolvers will have to go back to the other root name servers.

OK, I assumed that because I couldn't download the zones, you couldn't.
So, how do you do it?

Incidentally: get around Cricket's latest problem by having only your
root in your other nameservers' root hints file, and have them forward
all queries to your "root".  You may want to try this with half of
them, and measure the relative performance.

> > Why are you restricting yourself to a.root-servers.net?  Why don't you
> > have ALL of them, so that your BIND software can pick the one that
> > responds best?
>
> Where in hell did you get the idea that I would be stupid enough to restrict my self
> to anything less then all the nameservers? If anything I'm going to have all of the
> nameservers + my server.

Nowhere "in hell", unless that's where you're writing from [instead of
the Megabyte Coffeehouse].  I got it from what YOU said.  But it seems
that I may have misinterpreted.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B