Setting up a Root name server

chris chris at megabytecoffee.com
Sat Sep 4 00:37:15 UTC 1999

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> > > This is, in fact, the flaw.  How will you load it?  How will you update
> > > it?  Have you tried doing a transfer on .com lately?  [And didn't I say
> > > this before?]  And if you can't load and update, how will your ersatz
> > > root answer any queries at all?
> >
> > Yes, I update the .com .net and some other domas twice a day. If I can't load the
> > domains, they will expire in 12 hours like all root nameservers. At that point the
> > resolvers will have to go back to the other root name servers.
>
> OK, I assumed that because I couldn't download the zones, you couldn't.
> So, how do you do it?

We have a contract with internic.

> Incidentally: get around Cricket's latest problem by having only your
> root in your other nameservers' root hints file, and have them forward
> all queries to your "root".  You may want to try this with half of
> them, and measure the relative performance.

Hmmm I'll have to look in to that, at the moment I'm struggling with a lack of RAM, it's
going to take a few weeks to get 2gig of ram, and bind coredumps when it try's to allocate
twice the the amount of real memory in to the swap.

> > > Why are you restricting yourself to a.root-servers.net?  Why don't you
> > > have ALL of them, so that your BIND software can pick the one that
> > > responds best?
> >
> > Where in hell did you get the idea that I would be stupid enough to restrict my self
> > to anything less then all the nameservers? If anything I'm going to have all of the
> > nameservers + my server.
>
> Nowhere "in hell", unless that's where you're writing from [instead of
> the Megabyte Coffeehouse].  I got it from what YOU said.  But it seems
> that I may have misinterpreted.

Sorry, I use this return address for any place that gathers spam. This thread alone has
doubled the ammount of spam I get in my megabytecoffee mailbox. Check the headders on this
message. You'd be amazed at the information you can get from such things.

shamelessplug {

    (BTW, if your ever stuck in Long Beach, and do need to get on the net quick, my friend
could use some extra business.. stop by megabyte coffee)

}

- Chris