Setting up a Root name server

chris chris at megabytecoffee.com
Fri Sep 3 21:46:52 UTC 1999

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> >                                     ... By having a root server on our network
> > with the best RTT that can answer query's all the time, we bypass all that.
>
> This is, in fact, the flaw.  How will you load it?  How will you update
> it?  Have you tried doing a transfer on .com lately?  [And didn't I say
> this before?]  And if you can't load and update, how will your ersatz
> root answer any queries at all?

Yes, I update the .com .net and some other domas twice a day. If I can't load the
domains, they will expire in 12 hours like all root nameservers. At that point the
resolvers will have to go back to the other root name servers.

> Why are you restricting yourself to a.root-servers.net?  Why don't you
> have ALL of them, so that your BIND software can pick the one that
> responds best?

Where in hell did you get the idea that I would be stupid enough to restrict my self
to anything less then all the nameservers? If anything I'm going to have all of the
nameservers + my server.

- Chris