A plea to PSI and other clueless DNS Admins

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 8 20:29:19 UTC 1999

In article <7tlj49$o28$1 at esinet2.esinet.net>,
Chris A. Epler <cepler at Stormhaven.org> wrote:
>PLEASE OH PLEASE read the RFC's and books on how to administer DNS before
>setting up hostnames.  I've been seeing a RASH of hostnames being rejected
>due to underscores in their hostname.  Needless to say, our server (as well

Many of these have probably existed for years, before most people realized
the prohibition and before DNS software did any syntax checking.

>as other recent BINDs by default) will REJECT a zone transfer for these
>zones with erroneous records.

The default settings for check-names in BIND is:

  check-names master fail;
  check-names slave warn;
  check-names response ignore;

If you're doing a zone transfer of these domains, you're a slave server,
and you should only warn about them, not reject them.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com